Find the best veins specialist doctor near you
The varicose veins of the lower limbs correspond to the abnormal dilation of the veins located on the surface of the lower extremities. They are frequently found in the disease called chronic venous insufficiency and can be due to several mechanisms. Blood flows from the small veins located in the feet to the larger veins, going back to the heart. In case of problem at the level of these valves or due to the existence of an obstacle in the progression of the blood, venous insufficiency appears. Some factors increase the risk of developing varicose veins in the lower extremities: heat, sedentary lifestyle, pregnancy, long standing and poor circulation.
Causes of the varicose veins
The hereditary factor causes the appearance of varicose veins in 50% of cases. Varicose veins are more frequent in people 40 years of age or older. This is mainly due to the decrease in muscle tone. Varicose veins are more frequent in women. 3 out of 4 people who suffer from this condition are women.
The pregnancy stimulates venous dilation and pressure on the veins of the lower extremities. Both the hormones and the baby’s weight decrease the tone of the venous walls. The varicose veins that appear during pregnancy disappear spontaneously some months after the birth of the baby.
- The overweight increases the risk of varicose veins.
- The constipation causes pressure on the vein walls.
- Alcohol causes dilation of the veins.
- Standing and walking can cause the appearance of varicose veins.
- Remain seated and leaning forward o.
- Staying seated for many hours can cause varicose veins.
- The consumption of the contraceptive pill
- Lifting very heavy objects represents a risk factor.
- Lack of physical activity decreases muscle mass, which is essential for veins.
- The waxing with hot wax.
- Some sports such as bodybuilding, volleyball, tennis, handball, basketball (due to jumps) and lifting weights (due to heavy equipment).
- The use of tight clothes or underwear causes pressure on the veins.
- Wear inappropriate shoes
What is sclerotherapy?
This method involves injecting a sclerosant (liquid or foam) into the varix with the help of a fine needle for vein repair. This substance causes a fibrosis and a hardening of the vein. This treatment obstructs, resects and makes the varicose vein disappear. The affected veins dissolve and, in most cases, leave no sequela. The blood passes to the other veins (non-varicose).
A non-painful method
Sclerotherapy is not painful and can be done by veins specialist doctor. It does not cause much discomfort to the patient. In most cases, sclerotherapy does not have any side effects.
Complications during a sclerotherapy session are infrequent or not dangerous. The patient does not need medical rest. The patient can resume his activities immediately. Microsclerotherapy is a new modality of sclerotherapy, designed for the treatment of “spider veins”.
It is recommended that the vein doctor called evaluate the state of the venous circulation through a Doppler ultrasound or an ecodoppler. In this way, the doctor can determine if it is necessary or not to perform sclerotherapy. So choose best vein doctor name for the treatment.